The A/C is dead, it is 97 degrees outside and 91 in our home. Instead of using our stove to boil water to steep herbs and teas for iced drinks, we are cold brewing everything.
Cold brewing is the steepers choice of the day. By cold brewing, tea and coffee release their flavors and result a cleaner finish and less bitterness. I was doubtful at first, but after this trial, I am convinced.
This Agua de Jamaica or Hibiscus Tea Cold Brew is seriously delicious and super simple. Below is the recipe for the Agua de Jamaica and what follows is my preferred preparation guidelines for serving. Follow the recipe below and enjoy on a hot day.
Agua de Jamaica
- Two Handfuls of Flor de Jamaica
- 32-44 Ounces of Water
- One Stick of Cinnamon
- Half a Star of Anise
Put all ingredients in a pitcher or container. Place in fridge. Let chill for 8-12 hours. Strain and contain.
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Water
Place ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to boil stirring often. Reduce to simmer for a couple of minutes. Cool and put in a container. Store in fridge.
- First, you put the ice in a cup.
- Then you pour the Agua over the ice.
- Next you add simple syrup a tu gusto (to your liking). *I like minimal sugar so I only add about 2 teaspoons per 8 ounces of liquid.
- Stir or shake.
- Drink up and feel proud of yourself for making something so simple yet so delicious!